Send us your comments and photos

If you would like to add a story or photo, please email them to japomani@hotmail.com

Cartoon superhero drawn by Mark

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Remembering Mark the Great

Mark Lynn Richardson 1964-2009

Mark was continually engaged in service his entire life. He was always helping others and was mindful of needs of those around him. He loved his wife, children and grandchildren, and worked very hard to provide for them physically and spiritually. Mark was known for his great sense of humor, strong spirituality, and remarkable ability to make those around him feel joyful, comforted and uplifted. He was often found in the center of any crowd entertaining with jokes and stories or ripping phone books in half with his bear hands.

He loved to be around his family and friends. His was always giving, patient, kind, honest, full of charity, and hard working.

Mark the Great was the name that he had us little sisters call him before he would give us an underdog push on the swing set. He was the best father, friend, husband, grandpa and neighbor that anyone could have. This blog is meant to be a gathering place for those loved ones to share stories and remember him.

All are welcome to leave comments. Please keep his young family in your prayers that they may have some comfort at this time.

Pictures are coming soon.




Heidy his daughter wrote a tribute to him on her blog. She wrote it for fathers day. I have included it below:

Heidy Richardson Meyers

"This has been a very busy day for us. We were asked to speak in church. They told us we could have Allie and Kaity talk also if they wanted to . They were completely thrilled with that idea. They did such a good job and I was so proud of them. I had to help Kaity with her talk. It was actually one of the rare occasions that I have seen her be a little shy. She ended up doing a great job and there were a few people who clapped when she was finished (probably investigators). Allie did her talk all by herself. I typed it out for her and she practiced reading it and saying it over and over yesterday. Today she basically had it memorized. It was so sweet to see her stand up there and give her first talk. When I found out we had been asked to speak I was not to excited but then on Wednesday I realized that it was Father's Day this Sunday and was actually glad that I would get the opportunity to speak about the wonderful man that I call dad. I am really lame and uncreative lately so didn't do anything for my dad for Father's Day, so for his Father's Day present I would like to recount some of the things I spoke on today.

When I was about 4or 5 my mom started to date Mark and from the very beginning of their relationship he stepped in and took over the role of dad above and beyond in every way. When he would bring my mom flowers he would bring Holly and me each a flower. He would take us on many of the dates they went on. He did many other cute things like that for us. After my mom had turned him down when he proposed I finally got mad and told her " mom, the next time Mark asks you to marry him you say YES!" She took my advise. It has been the best decision that we ever made. My dad often jokes that most men don't get to choose their children they just have to take what they get, but he is lucky because he got to choose his kids. :) As I have grown and especially now that I am a parent myself I have learned by his good example and have noticed many attributes that he has that are very Christ like. I would like to point out a few of them and how they have influenced me.

He is so kind. I have never heard him say an unkind thing about anyone. I do not know many people that I could say that about. I, unfortunately didn't pick up on that attribute but it is how I would like to be and I admire him so much for it. By his example my younger sister Haley has followed his example and would never say anything mean about anyone. It is amazing how strong the influence parents have on their children weather they realize it or not.

He is so patient. All growing up he had such a great deal of patience with me and my siblings. Weather we work working with him, he was helping us with school projects, or helping us with homework he never seemed to loose his patience and helped us as long as we needed him. I was a lot more patient before I had kids but I really do try to remember the patience he had with me growing up when I am starting to loose my cool with my kids.

One of my favorite things about my dad is his ability to tell a great story. His stories were great weather it was one from his life or one he would make up they were always the best. If ever we were getting a little rowdy on a long car ride my dad would start to tell us a made up story and he would get us so captivated in the story we would calm right down. Many times when I would go to him with a problem he would tell me a story and make me figure out the answer on my own. Just as Christ used to parables to teach my dad did as well.

My dad taught me to work hard. From the time I was 5 yrs old he would have us help him with his sprinkler and landscaping business. When I was young it was just putting sprinkler parts together then I graduated to digging trenches and finally setting sprinkler heads. Some of my best times with my dad were just talking while we back filled a trench to help pass the time. It also taught me to earn money for the things that I wanted rather than just expect it. I am so glad I learned that lesson when I was young because it has greatly helped me as I have grown up and have my own family.

My dad would also take us on daddy daughter dates. These were always fun and made me feel so special. He would always bring some paper and he would help me set goals spiritually, temporally, and physically. This was a great way to help me think of the future and set goals to get there.

My dad has always had the most respect and love for my mom and treated her with such. I don't remember my dad getting angry often but the few times I remember it was when I would speak disrespectfully to my mom. He would immediately let me know that was not acceptable. He has always spoken with respect to my mom and that created so much happiness in our home. When I was dating I hoped to find a man that would treat me as good as he treats my mom; I did by the way . I hope that when my daughters grow they will have love in their home and always speak with respect to their spouse. That is something that I think is so important for our children to learn from us and I am so grateful for the example my parents were to me.

Lastly, I would like to tell of a Father's Day 7 years ago. My older sister and I got a lawyer and paid to have Mark legally adopt us. We tied a big red bow around us and went in where he was and said "Happy father's Day, we would like you to adopt us." My dad teared up and said "I have never pushed this issue or felt I needed to because to me you have always been mine. " A few months later when we appeared before the judge to legalize the adoption he took a moment to thank my dad. He said " I would like you to know that I sit in this court room every day and see fathers trying to get out of the responsibility for their children and it makes me so happy to see a man willing to take on the responsibility of children, thank you."

When my older sister got married she gave my dad a tape with a song on it that sums up and fits my feelings perfectly it is... The Man You Didn't Have To Be. By Brad Paisley

I met the man I call my dad when I was 5 years old
He took my mom out on a date and for once I got to go
A few months later I remember lying there in bed
I overheard him pop the question and prayed that she'd say yes
And then all of a sudden
Oh, it seemed so strange to me
How we went from something missing
To a family
Lookin' back all I can day about
the things he did for me
Is I hope I'm at least half the dad
He didn't Have to be.

I love you dad, thanks for all you have done and taught me throughout my life. Happy fathers Day! XOXOXO"

3 comments:

  1. That is absolutely beautiful. A big hug, lots of love and a family sized box of kleenex to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He will be truely missed, I will miss his smile and friendship. I remember the times we would go to Benjamin and he and all his friends would take me and my girlfriends out! way to many great memories of Mark. Lynn, my heart goes out to you, if you need anything please let us know. Hugs and kisses to all his family, he will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have posted a few pictures of Mark at this web address. http://picasaweb.google.com/adwride/MarkTheGreat?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete